Thursday, January 27, 2011

All About the Bible

In Sunday School, we've been discussing the Bible, specifically how the canon was formed, its history as both a religious text and a piece of literature/history, and its accuracy. Of course, as Christians, we look to the Bible as guidance for how we live our lives. 

The Bible verse for the week comes from 2 Timothy:

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, 
rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,  
17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Often, I complain that I don't know if God is leading me in a certain direction; I've often wished I could just hear Him in plain words tell me what to do. Here's the thing, though: I can hear His commandments. They are written very clearly in His Word.

I've heard this verse used by many parents, who read it as a commandment to raise their children in God's Word. This is certainly true, but because I do not have children, I've read right over this verse many times, thinking that it was not applicable to my life. Then, I took a second look. The Bible comes from God and is useful for directing my life.

Not rocket science, I know, but it was a profound moment for me. God speaks directly to me every day; I just have to be looking in His Word with open ears and an open heart. That is part of what this blog is about: finding Biblical reasons for why I live my life the way I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment